Enter Forum: General Interest
 Accidental Road Kill
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BusFrk5

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  4:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFrk5 an AOL message  Send BusFrk5 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had the experience of killing an animal, such as a cat, with their bus? Sadly this morning, a cat ran under our bus, and even after the effort of attempting to not hit it, it was run over by the back tires. We felt so horrible.

~Future Bus Driver~

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  5:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
my bus driver has hit all kinds of things. she's hit a tree twice, hit a few dogs( one time a dog was just standing in the middle of the road and would not move and my driver hit the poor dog).

Johnny
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  5:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
One dog, ran out in front of me. Nothing I could do. Stopped and told the owner (who drove for another system).

One sibling of Pepe's...

349 - A repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

BusladyofSoCal
Advanced Member

USA
366 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  6:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusladyofSoCal's Homepage  Send BusladyofSoCal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

my bus driver has hit all kinds of things. she's hit a tree twice, hit a few dogs( one time a dog was just standing in the middle of the road and would not move and my driver hit the poor dog).

Johnny

If my bus was empty I'd have gotten out and moved the stupid dog. If not I'd have moved the bus slowly by the dog.

Buslady
Crown Coach: The Energizer of buses, it just keeps going and going and going.....

Crown Coach Archive
http://crowncoach.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  7:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe you could stop right in front of the dog and sweep it out of the way with your crossing gate.

Many squirrels have run in front of my bus and underneath it but they have always managed to avoid being squashed. Crafty little buggers.

Edited by - Peter on 02/25/2003 7:58:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  7:59:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

-------------End quote---------------------
Uh yeah, not to sound rude but 92Frd is your busdriver all there? How could she run over a poor helpless dog? I would have waited and waited, called dispatch and have them send someone out to move the dog.

Maybe your busdriver, who probably does the rte everyday, should go a little slower where she knows there will be animals. On my route, I travel down a farm road, always birds and turkeys and sorts of things like that walking in the road. If I have to wait I have to wait, beep and sometimes they move.

But I would never run one over. I did hit a poor bird though, stupid thing! I feel awful! I almost hit a squirrel but was able to safetly stop, barely!

I love my Amtran RE ;-)

Edited by - 96 amtran re on 02/25/2003 8:00:24 PM

Edited by - 96 amtran re on 02/25/2003 8:02:09 PM

Edited by - 96 amtran re on 02/25/2003 8:03:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  04:29:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have hit a turkey before.

Go to Top of Page

Wolfman

USA
192 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  11:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a list, 5 snakes, 1 rabbit, 1 ground hog [ I think that is why winter is hanging around.]and a chicken. Deer have been close calls.

Wolfman Howling Mostly at the kids!

Go to Top of Page

gonzosbus

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  12:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Send gonzosbus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Way back when I was a still a driver I was driving down the street when a flock of chicken flew into the path of my school bus. There wasnt any time to do anything, there were feathers everywhere. As I continued my way to the school most of the cars that past me were looking and pointing at my bus, I could not figure out what was going on since i couldnt see anything on the front of my bus (1980 BBAA-FC 84 pass.) when I go to the school the teacher on duty came up to me and asked that I come out and look at my bus...Stuck up on top was a Chicken stabbed with my 2-way radio antenna. Fortunately it was daed and not moving. We got the custodian to help us get the chicken off and the kids took it and buried it at school. I made for some pretty interesting conversation at the transportation center since my supervisor had gotten a few calls already about the bus with a chicken on top.
Armando Cuellar, Madison Elementary School District #38, Phoenix Arizona

Greetings from Phoenix Arizona. Anything below 65 degrees requires a heavy coat or you freeze.
Go to Top of Page

KMM
Advanced Member

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  4:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Send KMM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hitting animals happens to the best of us. It is unavoidable. I hit a skunk once and the issue had the mechanic and asst. mechanic in a argument. One wanted me to bring the bus into the bus garage wash bay and wash it; the other said "hell no!! Let the damn thing sit out there and air off" The odor was unpleasant for a while but eventually went away.

Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  6:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I ever hit an aminal I think I'd need therapy for the rest of my life!

I love my Amtran RE ;-)
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  10:34:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a driver hit a deer not too long ago, he didn't appreciate my comment about getting the grill fired up.... I dunno, maybe it's me.

Go to Top of Page

rltinkey

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  5:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortuneately yes, I have hit two chickens that did not feather to well "ha.ha.", and a dog that I saw coming across the front of my bus and I almost was able to come to a stop before sending the very large dog end of end. The dog jumped up and kept on running while looking back over it's back to make sure I wasn't following him. I felt bad in all cases.
The most important and significant thing to remember is do not try and swerve trying to miss some ones pet, there is to high of a risk that you could loose control of the bus and cause a accident and you will most likely end up hitting the pet anyway. I wouldn't want to hit a cow or horse head on, but that is a far better scenario than going into a ditch or hitting a tree.
Grab onto the streeing wheel and steer straight ahead and I truely feel the out come will be fare better off than any other outcome.
Ray The Bus Guy...

Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  9:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To expand on what DriverTrainer2002 said, I learned that you're not to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the animal. Sad as it my be, it's better to run it over.

It's BIG, it's YELLOW, it has RED FLASHING LIGHTS. What part didn't you see?

Ryan's School Bus Yard--www.busman49.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss_Myra

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  07:07:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have hit a dog before, it was real early, and it came out of nowhere. I let the owners know and they were more concerned about if I was going to be OK to continue driving, I cried for most of the day. A few weeks back another company had one of thier buses hit a moose, that is one animal I hope I never hit with anything, even a bus!

Go to Top of Page

Northern SBD

75 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  9:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a soft hearted animal lover too....

But my kids come first... When something darts in front of the bus, you hit it and you don't stop and try to help it... you get on your radio and get someone to call the police. I won't stop cause you can't risk getting bit or a kid getting bit and you wouldn't bring a wounded animal on the bus at any cost.

Yes, avoid an animal if it is safe to stop with swerving or slamming on your brakes...

I hate people who try blame drivers because their animal is on the road... if they were
responsible pet owners (cats included) they would never be loose on the public roadway at all. (and if they are loose cause they escaped from a pen or chain... it is an accident).

I have never hit a moose, deer or bear though they are around ... and I pray I never do.

Go to Top of Page

Northern SBD

75 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  9:14:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That should be

Yes, avoid an animal if it is safe to stop WITHOUT swerving or slamming on your brakes...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000