Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2003 :  2:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Some school districts came to a "fork in the road" so-to-speak, earlier this year. Since the International/Thomas conventional was no longer available, those school districts were faced with the decision of either going with a Thomas body (Freightliner/Thomas), or continuing with an International chassis (International/Blue Bird or IC CE).

I am curious to know what decision your district made, if your district happened to be faced with this rather tough decision. Or, feel free to tell me what you personally would (or did) choose from the choices mentioned above.

I am sure this was a difficult situation for some districts. For others, it was probably a no-brainer. It all depends on how you look at it.

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2003 :  2:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would personally choose the Freightliner. While International may be a great chassis, Freightliner can substitute very well. In that case, it would come down to the body and I believe Thomas serves much better in terms of safety and quality. We were primarly Ford (with four IHCs) and when Ford became unavailable we had no problem switching to Freightliner. The drivers also LOVE them.

Stop at: http://buses.thesummit.biz

This is an industry where people brag about their times for 60-0, not 0-60.
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2003 :  2:38:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of our districts operated International/Thomas for a while and then switched to Freightliner/Blue Bird. Macon County this year went back to International with a Blue Bird. I believe they ordered 5 for the 03-04 school year.

Jeff Flatt
Go to Top of Page

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2003 :  2:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We stayed with Thomas which means going with Freightliner. Freightliner intergration with Thomas has room for improvement in service and parts.

PHW

Child Check For Life
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2003 :  4:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We bought a few Freightliners, some with Thomas bodies, and we have learned our lesson! No more!! No more Freightliners no more Caterpillar either. We need service and parts and Thomas provides neither very well, but especially the service after the sale! Only if there is nothing else out there!
Joe

Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2003 :  4:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are 75% International Thomas and I am 99% sure our four new buses are going to be Freighliners. I would get Freightliners personally for the durability and quality of the Thomas Body!! I also think that is why my district is doing do! We have been buying all Thomas since 1990 with the exception af a few early 1990s Ford Carpenters. I also like the looks and dash setup of the Freighliner.
Greg Hovan

Now is the time of year when all buses have white tops!
Visit the school bus garage: http://www.geocities.com/fordman11189/SchoolBusGarage.html
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2003 :  5:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, some contractors have decided to go with the Freightliner chassis. These contractors had been full International, but from what I have heard have gone with Freightliner since they have had special discounts. All of these are "lot buses"... the dealer seems to be buying many extra buses to give contractors a better deal, or whatever their reasons may be.

One other contractor has purchased new Blue Bird/International's... now I just have to wait for the best buses to come in... IC!

---

School Bus Photos and Links: http://www.geocities.com/bluebird4eversbf

Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2003 :  7:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would go with the IC over the Freightliner. As Wagonmaster stated parts and service! Most Freightliner dealerships do not know how to work on Yellow and Black!

I met a private contractor a few years back that bought a brand new Freightliner and took it to the Freightliner dealer to have some warranty work! The dealer kept the bus for 2 weeks and then called the guy to come pick his bus up. The guy checked his bus out after driving it 2 hours back to his home and he could tell that they had never touched the bus! He was not a happy camper!

Go to Top of Page

ZZTalon

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2003 :  7:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit ZZTalon's Homepage  Send ZZTalon an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, where i work we don't really buy brand new busses, but there are alot more bluebirds now and not a single frieghtliner. (They used to be mostly Thomas, before that Waynes, all internationals)

http://www.nyschoolbus.com
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2003 :  7:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Richard,

UFORTUNATELY, You are not a bus driver nor a mechanic so you really can't comment on anything other than the ride.

I have heard many complaints about service at dealerships, hopeully they get that straightened out, I feel the Freightliner is a decent chassis.

"I'd rather pull my kids around in a 77 passenger Radio Flyer than drive a Blue Bird."
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2003 :  9:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would classify the Freightliner as a good road bus and the International as a better urban driving bus. While both handle well, the International seems to roll with the curves and corners better. The Freightliner feels a little more rigid during cornering. I haven't compared turning radius, but have always been satisfied with International's. This could be simply because I started out driving those '88 GMC boats. Anyone compared Freightliner and International for turning radius?

Go to Top of Page

Skip

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  03:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are curently running three thomas/freightliner's and two bluebird/freightliners. We had the service problem with our Thomas dealer so after the fist bus we went to BlueBird for two more. When we were faced with the choice of feightliner or International we tried both. The drivers choose the Freightliner. Nothing against the BB body we didnt like the International at all.

Go to Top of Page

AmTran9442

87 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  08:58:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deffinately stay with international for your sake of having a good bus I would NEVER have nothing other then a international and that is a rock solid guarentee.

Go to Top of Page

DeKalb-1634

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  6:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello I'm a new driver on this forum! So far I'm having fun lol!

Well to answer your question, DeKalb the district I work for. We have been with International chassis for 14 some odd years. This year we have gotten 100 something new IC buses. We mostly have Thomas International in our fleet. So I will just have to wait to next year to see if we will be getting any new Thomas Freightliner.

Mary Davis
Go to Top of Page

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  6:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mary. Welcome to the forum.

And I appreciate your insights about DeKalb.

I've spent a couple of lifetimes there myself before retirement came along. Then I discovered school bus driving!

As to the current topic, I've been in my Amtran FE for a couple of years now. I'll stick with it as long as I can. Give me the transit any time! The Freighliners have have come into our fleet under the state bid program for the last 2 years though.

I've only had a little experience with the Freightliners and although I like them for driver comfort, the turning radius leaves much to be desired when you're used to the transit.

Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  7:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting topic.
I personally have driven both and much prefer the International IC.

I think the lay out is much better, the ergonomics is much more friendlier.

As far as the chasis and engine, I would leave that up to the mechanics. I persoanlly love Cats and Internationals so both are of equal measures to me.

We run the Thomas Freightliners and they really have not impressed me. It seems as though Thomas has gotten sloppy with their work- caulking, paint, seats flooring material as they do not seem to be built as they were in the early 90's- perhaps savings?

Anyways, from comparing the two- freightliner Thomas and the IC I much rather have an IC.

All buses must meet safety standards so I believe them both to be of high safety standards however, each has strong added points over the other.

Great topic though,.

It's the little things that count
Go to Top of Page

Bri98-87
Advanced Member

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  8:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Bri98-87 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I currently drive a 98 Bluebird on an International chassis (466e 190 horse, air brakes, spring suspension 71 pass.) on a daily basis. I have also driven a 98 Thomas Freight (65 pass. air all the way around except door and seat)

Now... there are things i like about each bus. As for the International... My 466e runs like a champ and starts up every morning. With the exception of a rear main seal leak a couple of weeks ago, this bus has been great. The bus has 91,000 and some change on it as of this afternoon. I have to admit that i'm kinda hard on a bus and the international has met the challenge of my not so conservative driving habits.

I do miss the freightliner though. The bus that i drove had proven itself to be a great runner also. The feature i liked about the Freight is the air package. When the bus is speced with the air brake package, rear air suspension comes along with it. Also, the air operated tilt-telescope feature is nice too. I feel that the freightliner is a more driver-oriented bus next to the navistar.

It's really a draw between the two as far as i'm concerned. If i could have it all, i would get the Thomas Freightliner with a 466e, and a hood that doesn't shake all over the place.

Brian

Go to Top of Page

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  2:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go with the freightliner/thomas

Go to Top of Page

Mr. International

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  05:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. International's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would for sure buy an IC - the thomas / freightliner seems to be making the Thomas body cheaper.
Ic - corp keeps making improvements to the bus and quality is by far the best.

Mr. International

International #1
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  08:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's funny you said that Mr. International!
I ran into a guy that's been buying School Buses for his district for many year now, and he used to love Thomas Built Buses, but lately said that their products have gone down hill, since Daimler Chrysler brought them.

Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  08:31:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh! I forgot to mention that he's been going with IC/CE's and just started buying IC/ER's!

Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  3:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It funny that you say that BusBoy cause I know here in Georgia eveyone seem to have the IC fever! They are great buses from what I see and heard. Our 2003 IC buses are here but won't be put on the road until 2003-2004 school year start up. I can't wait though!

Is anyone one eles state going though the IC fever?

~Georgia Drivers Together We Fly High~
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  6:06:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you going to get one of these new IC's?

Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  6:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry! I hit the button twice

Edited by - Busboy on 02/20/2003 6:10:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  7:48:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey BusBoy,

Yes I will be getting one of the new IC buses. I will be getting the 72 passenger #612. Right now I drive a 1997 AmTran FE 84 passenger #932

Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  05:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will it be a CE?

Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  9:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Will it be a CE?

Yes a 72 passenger CE

Go to Top of Page

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  04:21:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Thomas/freightliner seems to be a good quality bus.

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  12:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Thomas/freightliner seems to be a good quality bus.

I'll support that statement!

From rub rail to rub rail, roof cap to roof cap, Thomas Built Buses are built to last!
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  12:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the bus contractors here have dumped Thomas on the curb and has gone with Blue Bird for the International quality chassis! These new buses just arrived yesterday, and are spec'd VERY nicely... the best spec would have to be the DT466. I'll get more info and pics as time goes by.

---

School Bus Photos and Links: http://www.schoolbuscentral.com

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  5:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing Richard, a few people have chosen alternate routes since Thomas quit building on the 3800 chassis, unfortunately that was probably the only reason I could see to continue purchasing a 3800, the Thomas body. Quite honestly that chassis is ready for a makeover, If I had to buy an International chassis now, it would be an IC-CE. The hell with the 3800 and expecially the Blue Bird body.

From rub rail to rub rail, roof cap to roof cap, Thomas Built Buses are built to last!
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  5:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks for sharing Richard, a few people have chosen alternate routes since Thomas quit building on the 3800 chassis

Bret,

That is exactly the reason. They are VERY satisfied with the Thomas/International, so they decided to stay with the 3800. I think it makes perfect sense, but I would have preferred the CE as well.

---

School Bus Photos and Links: http://www.schoolbuscentral.com

Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  5:51:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Quite honestly that chassis is ready for a makeover

Thomas 86,
What needs making over on the 3800 chassis?

Go to Top of Page

Mr. International

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  6:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. International's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well - just look at what international turned it into. the IC CE

Its a good bus

Mr. International

International #1
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  04:12:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I heard that the only updating they plan to do on the 3800 is making the hood look just like the IC/CE.

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  07:38:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well lets take a look, the hood has nowhere near the slope that a Freightliner has and now the new Blue Bird Vision. The IC-CE could use a little more slope, but even that one has more than the 3800. Another thing they need to address is the dash, once again it's moved up on the Freightliner, Vision, and IC-CE. Don't get me wrong, I drive a 3800 and don't really have a problem with it, I'm just looking at what the others have done and it would be rediculous to continue building a chassis that is outdated.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000