Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BusladyofSoCal
Advanced Member

USA
366 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  10:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusladyofSoCal's Homepage  Send BusladyofSoCal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My 2c to add, we have the new IC and is it a great bus or what! The one we have has a nice ride, good driver seat- air but not horribly bouncy like the Birds,it's has the big engine and MOVES and a REAL dash. Not to mention how good it looks.

Buslady
Crown Coach: The Energizer of buses, it just keeps going and going and going.....

Crown Coach Archive
http://crowncoach.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  2:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The gauges on the 3800 are very nice. They are visible, yet tucked unobtrusively blow the dash level. The right side "glove box" storage compartment is also very nice. This feature has been eliminated needlessly on the IC. The hood is not as greatly sloped as the newer models, but with cat's eye mirrors, you can see everything that is in front of you.

Many people have the mentality that newer is better. I hate to break it to these people, but often that is not the case. Too frquently we see very good designs scrapped because of the need to keep up with the competition. Why? If you make a quality product, why would you throw out your good design in favor of a new one? Nine times out of ten you will only succeed in eliminating the features that made your product desirable in the first place.

So the 3800 doesn't have the sharply sloping hood. That doesn't make it unsafe. So the gauges don't look just like the other companies'. That doesn't make them difficult to read.

Automobile manufacturers have continuously update their dashboard and gauge designs to make them more modern and look at what is happening now: old designs are becoming popular again. These designs were discontinued because of the insatiable desire for something new. People are now realizing that these designs didn't need to be updated; they have their own merits and were, in some cases, better than the replacements. This is most definitely the case with the 3800 and the CE.

The 3800 remains relatively unchanged since its inception because there was very little to improve. It is a shame that International will probably discontinue this product in the future.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  3:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I have to change what I said,, I talked to our transportation director today and she said we are not getting Thomas Freightliners,, we're getting Blue Bird Internationals. I have mixed feelings on that. I will miss the Thomases! Please tell me there is some good with the Birds!! I was disappointed!
Greg Hovan

Now is the time of year when all buses have white tops!
Visit the school bus garage: http://www.geocities.com/fordman11189/SchoolBusGarage.html
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  3:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,
Blue Bird makes a solid bus. From a rider's perspective, the seats are comfortable, the ride is smooth, the window latches are sturdy and don't break like some of the cheaper types and the company installs quality heaters that have no problem creating a toasty envrionment for all. There are advantages from a driver's perspective as well and I would be happy to list some of them if you are interested.

Peter

Go to Top of Page

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  4:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the Blue Bird heaters work much better! One thing I don't like about Thomas buses is that you either freeze or fry in the winter. And the seats seem more comfortable than Thomas (but not as durable). Window latches always seemed easy to work on BBs (but not nessecarily good about staying up).
Silas J.

http://www.geocities.com/schoolbusarchives

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  5:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in hearing them Peter!

From rub rail to rub rail, roof cap to roof cap, Thomas Built Buses are built to last!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  5:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And the seats seem more comfortable than Thomas (but not as durable).

Bret and I had a conversation about just that! Thomas seats may be stiff at first but in the end they're very soft but with enough support unlike Blue Birds which are always soft and after 10 or so years feels like you're sitting on cotton on top of plywood. I felt this in a bus at Shanty Creek ski resort last year. The bus had teh green Thomas seat backs but for some reason they put in brown Bird seat cushions. They were very soft but over the bumps you'd feel the wood.

Stop at: http://buses.thesummit.biz

This is an industry where people brag about their times for 60-0, not 0-60.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  5:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys! I've gotton over the shock! Well I am now sort of loking forward sto seeing them!! Bedford always seems to spec a good bus so they'll look great and a DT466E is definatly a great engine!
Greg Hovan

Now is the time of year when all buses have white tops!
Visit the school bus garage: http://www.geocities.com/fordman11189/SchoolBusGarage.html
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  10:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As requested, I am posting a list. For comparison I have used other bus manufacturers. This is just to show why I prefer some features of the Blue Bird, not to degrade other bus manufacturers' products.

Features that make a Blue Bird conventional pleasant to drive:

1. Service door handle. The lift to release design incorporates a natural, whole-handed motion. One need not fumble for the release with the thumb, only to lift. This door handle latches securely while the top latching door control used by Thomas, AmTran/IC and Carpenter sometimes sticks without fully locking.

2. Four piece or two piece wraparound windshield. Blue Bird offers a choice of two driver friendly windshields that provide a good range of vision. The corner posts on the Thomas and Carpenter are farther forward, placing the blind spot in a more critical area. Looking at pictures, it appears that Thomas may also offer a four piece windshield now.

3. Rearview mirror and sun shield. On Blue Bird buses, the passenger mirror can be adjusted to see the majority of the students at a glance. The sun shield folds neatly and completely out of view behind the passenger mirror and is easily adjusted due to the length of the pivot arms.

For buses built prior to 2002, the pull switches, eight way controls and left side tray are very nice features. Buses built prior to 1996 have these switches, a great switch panel and the large left side shelf. I love that shelf and those switches. Although cheapened, the new control panel is still relatively unobtrusive. Now that Blue Bird has gone to rocker switches and a bulky, awkward vinyl conrol panel, they have lost a good portion of their advantage.

After thinking about this for a little bit, I realized that Blue Bird has done away with many of the features that made their buses superior. For Thomas and IC, this is a good thing. If I were to order new school buses, I would have to look closely at each of the three to see where I could spec and de-spec options to maximize driver satisfaction.

I still like the look of a Blue Bird, with the rounded exterior bulkhead edges, rounded corners and passenger windows to within a couple of inches of the rear. These buses have a clean, tight and refined look to them.

Blue Bird makes a quality bus, but is no longer the clear leader in terms of driver amenities.

Edited by - Peter on 02/28/2003 10:11:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  7:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Since 1995, our state has went with Thomas Built buses. In 1995, we got a fleet of 1995 Saf-T Liners. All Rear Engine buses, 78 and 36 passenger. In 2000, we got more Saf-T Liners and this year, we got coventional Freightliners. I personally liked my 1988 Bluebird I had, #6409 I miss ya!

"With God behind us and His arms beneath us, we can face whatever lies before us."
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  9:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
1. Service door handle. The lift to release design incorporates a natural, whole-handed motion. One need not fumble for the release with the thumb, only to lift. This door handle latches securely while the top latching door control used by Thomas, AmTran/IC and Carpenter sometimes sticks without fully locking.

In my opinion, I think the thumb latch is more of a natural motion than lifting up the whole handle. That's a design I do not care for.

quote:
3. Rearview mirror and sun shield. On Blue Bird buses, the passenger mirror can be adjusted to see the majority of the students at a glance. The sun shield folds neatly and completely out of view behind the passenger mirror and is easily adjusted due to the length of the pivot arms.

I also don't like the student mirror setup. There is (on buses I've seen' not sure if it's standard) an emergency equipment cubby on the bulkhead of the bus, and Blue Bird extends the mirror out a little bit so it's easier to open that compartment. I'm not the tallest of people and tend to sit kinda close to the wheel for comfort. Consequently, it feels like the mirror is right over my head.

I guess what works for some doesn't work for others. Give me an IC CE any day!

It's BIG, it's YELLOW, it has RED FLASHING LIGHTS. What part didn't you see?

Ryan's School Bus Yard--www.busman49.com
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2003 :  06:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For buses built prior to 2002, the pull switches, eight way controls and left side tray are very nice features. Buses built prior to 1996 have these switches, a great switch panel and the large left side shelf. I love that shelf and those switches. Although cheapened, the new control panel is still relatively unobtrusive. Now that Blue Bird has gone to rocker switches and a bulky, awkward vinyl conrol panel, they have lost a good portion of their advantage.

I fully agree with this. I liked the old switch panel of the Blue Bird's better than the new rocker switches. I used to drive a 1988 Blue Bird International Air Brake bus. That was my baby! It had 256,000 miles on it when I had to let her go! I miss ya #6409![:-(] Now I drive a 1995 Thomas Saf-T Liner. Its a good bus, but would rather have my BB back. Our state purchaces all Thomas now. However, I do like the new Thomas Conventionals we have gotten in - they are sweet!

"With God behind us and His arms beneath us, we can face whatever lies before us."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000