New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IC-CEiswhereiwannabe
Advanced Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  2:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, now, for the fifteenth year in a row, ever since the first day I drove a school bus, I have looked to the school bus manufactuers that we all know and love (and love to hate) to find a better place to put the hazard warning flashers switch on school buses. EVERY SINGLE YEAR THEY HAVE ASTOUNDED ME WITH THEIR AMAZING STUPIDITY. Lets just take the International/IC family for instance.

International - 1990? to 1997
Right underneath the turn signal stalk. Oh how very easy. NOT. You couldn't see it, feel it, its painted red but who would know....its' underneath something...STUPID

International - 1997 to 2000
AN IDEA! How about under the steering column. Then each and every driver will hit their knee on it and turn their hazards off when they want them on (and that's if they can find the gosh darn switch anyway) And if that's not good enough, if the driver happens to drive a transit style vehicle, they are most lucky. Moving the column towards you at all puts the switch in your crotch.....STUPID

IC - 2000 to 2005
Ingenius, we'll keep it in the exact same place as the last guys. Oh yeah, we listen to our customers alright. EVERY OTHER THING IN EARLY IC ERA BUSES IS DIFFERENT FROM ANYTHING THAT CAME BEFORE IT...except the hazards....STUPID

IC - 2005 to present
Oh they're not done yet. NO, THEY WERE JUST GETTING STARTED. After 2005, IC decided they needed a change. No more reaching around in the dark under the steering column or feeling your crotch to turn them on. This time, we want you to reach THRU THE STERRING WHEEL SPOKES while driving to get to 'um. We're not worried about your arm being broken if by chance you have to make an emergency turn (WHICH COULD VERY WELL HAPPEN IF YOU ARE REACHING FOR YOUR HAZARD LIGHTS.) We're not worried about the uncomfortable and unatural position you must get you hand and arm into to hit the switch. (AND TELL ME THIS, why is it that on 2005 and later IC's there is no hazard light chime ringing when your hazards are on? The answer is....you guessed it....)STUPID

I applaud Bluebird, even though their bus (the new 2008 Vision) is probably the ugliest school bus I have ever seen it is only the first one from any manufactuer that I have seen a hazard warning flasher switch in plain view and with easy use.That's right, its slightly to the left of the driver with a nice big triangle on it and is rocker-like for easy on's and offs.

Come on folks, we as school bus drivers probably use our hazard warning flashers more than any other vehicle on the road except garbage trucks and mail jeeps. Can we please just get an easier switch from IC and Thomas?!?

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  4:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The Thomas C2 switch is on top of the turn signal stalk, and is a rocker switch. I've used it, and found it pretty easy. The HDX I thought had it on the dashboard, but I could be mistaken. The MVP EFs have it either on the steering column, below the turn signal stalk, or you pull out the turn signal stalk, depending on year. When you get used to your bus, any placement isn't that difficult, but I can imagine that in the dark on a field trip in an unfamiliar bus or something like that, it will become an issue because you only remember so much from your pretrip inspection. I happen to remember those placements really easily, but that's just because I like anything that has to do with flashing lights .

I think they're reasoning is to keep it close to a car's set-up, so that the basic functions of turning, headlights, etc. are like that of a personal vehicle. But I do agree with you...there is no need for these switches to be put in these abnormal spots. So many other lights you can control routinely from your dashboard and control panel, so I definitely think that the hazards and headlights can be moved somewhere a little more routine...not a completely different style of switch in a completely different place like they do now.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  5:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the old International early mid 90s original desine. The type that you pull out the turn signal switch to turn on hazards, and push the turn signal switch in to turn them off.
The IDEA of this is great.
The way International made it though didnt last very long, and was replaced with the switch behind the lever.
If they had made them to last more than a year it would have been the perfect desine

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  5:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree I liked the desing on the like older Internationals that you pull out which is right on your turn signal. When I first got my 06 IC-CE I couldn't believe they put the flashers where they are I mean how it could be a dangerous situation. The in my 04 IC-RE I didn't like them under the steering wheel becuase people forget them because they're not easy to reach or find. I really do like the old design and it's to bad they can't modify it.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  08:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drivers are hard on those integrated automobile-style switches. I liked the most recent GMC set up on the Blue Birds with the big red knob on the dash. Simple and convenient.
Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  3:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i had absolutely no problems having the hazards switch on the steering column under the steering wheel, my hand is right above the knob, it's just a slight drop down to pull it out. sure, i had to change from the right hand to left w/ a new bus, but adjusted in no time @ all, & when i had a spare bus, it wasn't any problem switching back to the other hand. what's the big deal?!? there are sure a lot of other features that need to be focused on & changed!

1Peter 1:3
Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  3:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
plus, i've had more trouble thinking about what to push or pull w/ the hazards button on the dash of my car, i like it better on the column!

Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  5:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I prefer the old International style where you pull the turn signal level out to turn on the hazards. What I like most about that style is that when you turn on the turn signal, it automatially turns off the hazards. I wish they would incorporate this feature into some of the newer designs.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  03:21:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm one of the supporters of the 1978-1993 International design where you pulled out on the turn signal, even though it was junky as mentioned.

Keep in mind that the location is a feature of the steering column manufacturer...Internationals w/ tilt wheel and Thomas transit products featuring the Douglas column with switch underneath.

By far the best I ever drove were the late 70's through 80's Thomas pushers...they had large red-illuminated push-pull switches on the dash. I also had a 2004 Frieghtliner with a rocker switch on the dash...that was nice.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  06:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like my 05 Thomas FS-65. The hazard switch is under the turn signal, it's a bright red tab that you pull out to turn them on, and then flick the turn signals on-off to cancel. It's simple, it's easy, and it's the same as the 72 Crown sitting in my driveway

The other thing that was mentioned briefly above is that I like having hazards that are cancelled automatically when you signal a turn. How many times do drivers put their hazards on and then forget to turn them off?
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  9:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why can't they put the switch next to the cruise control / fast idle button?
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  07:01:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sherm

I liked the most recent GMC set up on the Blue Birds with the big red knob on the dash. Simple and convenient.

I'll take that one too

And here's a wild concept, it flashes bright enough to actually see, even during the daytime.
Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  1:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i still don't see what the problem is w/ the knob on steering column. the only time i ever had to look for it, was when 1st driving the different buses. w/in a day, i usually just reached for it
w/o needing to look. no problem finding it. & it's right there, no need to lean forward, or move a hand very far from the wheel.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  4:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bus724

quote:
Originally posted by Sherm

I liked the most recent GMC set up on the Blue Birds with the big red knob on the dash. Simple and convenient.

I'll take that one too

And here's a wild concept, it flashes bright enough to actually see, even during the daytime.

OHH YEAH...they use the same switch as my old Thomas did. Does GMC wire them to light up solid when the headlights are on? Thomas did that, but they still flashed whenever the 4-ways were on.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  2:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Does GMC wire them to light up solid when the headlights are on? Thomas did that, but they still flashed whenever the 4-ways were on.

Not on the 93s they dont. I drove one todaY and I remembered this topic so I checked it out

Robert B.

Edited by - 78fordwayne on 10/23/2006 2:58:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

BBGMC2003_16

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  6:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the GMC setup . A big red knob right by the shifter. I'm not that big of a fan to the ford setup tho.

New district, new bus!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000