Automatic Traction Control Chains
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

driverdispatch100

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  10:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all. With winter weather coming in, I was curious as to how many companies are using automatic traction control "chains" on their vehicles? Most companies and districts around here were using them a decade ago, but it's not the case anymore. Only one or two are using them on their entire fleet now. It seems like the schools that had chains on their vehicles were the first to close anyway. So why even have them if you never run your buses in the winter weather? I guess it's still good to have them in case a storm rolls in and catches everyone off guard.

It was always good to have them when schools had a delayed opening but you find yourself on a hill or backroad that still wasn't fully cleared off. Not to mention you always knew when a bus had chains because of the infamous clings and clangs that you'd hear when the bus hit a bump, etc. I think all buses in the colder climates should have them just because it could mean the difference of waiting 4 hours for a snowplow to come dig you out. Sometimes early dismissals end up not being early enough.

Last year on an early dismissal we had a driver get stuck around 1 o'clock in the afternoon. It was utter chaos as the roads got jammed with commuters leaving work early, buses trying to get kids home, emergency vehicles responding to accidents, road closures, severe traffic, and plows trying to keep the roads clear. Well she got stuck on a hill and was at the bottom of the list of other drivers who were stuck. School buses, motorists, on hills sliding sideways, the snow coming down hard, plows not able to get through the traffic. And once the sun goes down, forget it - any bit of moisture and warmth in the ground automatically freezes up. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about. We had drivers come back to the lot later than they would on a regular school day, 5:30, 6:00 at night! And it wasn't just our bus company or school district. These things just happen sometimes and some areas are worse than others, especially in terms of elevation up here. That's why I think the auto traction control chains make all the difference. So how many of you out there are using them and what do you think about having them, is it worth it or not? How often do you use them?

If some of you don't know what these are, here are a few pictures. Too bad I can't find any picturs online of school buses equipped with them. Most of our fire departments have them on their trucks, so do the ambulances. I've even seen them on some pickup trucks, school bus vans, and even coach buses. Here are a few pictures of them on a snow plow. I haven't had them on our buses since the early 90s. Back then we had to twist a lever, kind of like a garden hose faucet. Now I'd immagine they have an easy to use switch. You just turn on the chains and they drop from the bottom of the bus. They get spit out and land under the tires for traction and spin as the wheels move. They don't actually wrap around the tires, they just catch under them where it's needed most. No need to have to manually wrap all the tires of a 100 bus fleet. Totally automatic. It's really a neat thing to see them in action!

http://www.slaglefire.com/equipment-onspot.htm
http://www.onspot.com/indhisfr.htm
http://www.sartinservices.com/onspot/BP_onSpot.htm
http://www.hamilton-co.org/engineer/Images/NewDumpTruck/Newdump3.jpg
http://www.vonslatt.com/bus-body.shtml

It's too bad you can't actually see the entire vehicle in these pictures, just a close up of the chains. It would be a lot neater seeing an entire bus with the chains visible from the front, sides, or back. So if anyone has them on their buses, let us know what you think about them, and be sure to post us a photo!

Salaskie
Advanced Member

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  09:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Salaskie an AOL message  Send Salaskie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We have Onspots and Instachains on the buses in our borough. Two different manufacturers. Both websites have an interactive page where you can place your cursor over the chain and watch it employ.
The district requires all our buses to be equipped with the automatic chains, plus carry manual chains. Granted, this is Alaska, but they are an awesome invention for large vehicles where ice is a problem.
Except fuel trucks...the chains create sparks :-)
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  12:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a number of operations here in New York that employ the use of chains. Most operators here get OnSpots, and they seem to be a very good manufacturer, with reliable systems.

Whether or not the chains get used is another story. I'd say the majority of the time, school gets called before the chains would ever hit the ground. It is nice though having the chains there in case there is some sort of dangerous situation!

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  1:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The district here is interested in purchasing them for four route buses if there is enough money from the sale of the old buses. They would definitely be handy here because there are many rural roads that are very hilly. The plows can normally keep up with those because they give school bus routes some priority, but in addition to the many hilly roads, we pull into a lot of students' long driveways if we need to turn around. OnSpot chains will be welcome!

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

driverdispatch100

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  8:47:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Salaskie, you're right. I went back to the www.onspot.com website and found a photo gallery and video that I didn't see before. I also just saw that their corporate headquarters is right here in Connecticut - I never knew this.

Anyhow, it must be a real challenge to drive in Alaska with all the snow! How often do they close school there? It's funny you mention fuel trucks! I forgot to mention them in my other post. Most home heating oil companies around here use them on their vehicles! I never thought about the sparks! :-P
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  05:14:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At my garage we use Onspot chains. I only had to use them once last year and they worked pretty well.

I'll show you my air brakes if you show me yours.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000