Trivia 4
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  11:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What is the most common cause of Alternator failure?

wsauer3481

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  1:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Send wsauer3481 an AOL message  Click to see wsauer3481's MSN Messenger address  Send wsauer3481 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
improper grounding

Go to Top of Page

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  4:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weak batteries?

Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  4:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weak batteries it has to be for sure.

Go to Top of Page

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  5:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That would be a weak or dead battery.
Silas J.

97-12 It will outrun your bus.
http://schoolbusarchives.tripod.com

Go to Top of Page

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  06:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bearings contribute to a high number of alternator failures.

Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  10:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Loose connections

349 - A repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

Mr. B SB #377

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  7:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Improperly adjusted drive belts, too loose or tight: shorted cells in the battery.

Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  7:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kd4jfd is right on. Second runner up is wsauer with improper grounding. The answer is Loose and dirty connections. Improper grounding falls into that category.
Brad

Your turn Joe Hartnett.

Go to Top of Page

wrenchmen

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  11:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Send wrenchmen an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
HEAT

Go to Top of Page

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  7:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told that heat(from work overload) was the killer of alternators due to weak batteries. Rebuilders have also told me a high number of alternators are condemed and still in working order. On the subject of alternators. Delco has just come out with a simple tool to check alternators called Intelli Check. It has 4 led lights. Hook up one lead to alt. pos. term. and one lead to alt. neg. term. or ground. Start eng.,run at high idle for ten sec.,then turn on all accesories and run at high idle again. I weeded out 2 problems waiting to happen, out of the first 25 or so I tested using my dealers meter. I ordered one for my shop at $300. You could show anyone how to do it once and they will be experts. Peace, Joe

Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  11:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes, Heat is the other main cause. Depending on who you talk to. One of my rebuilders can't decide which is most common and rated them as equal. Personally have seen failed alternators with loose connection at the hot stud but I think that heat was the cause of them coming loose. There are many reasons why they fail including bad grounds but the most common are loose connections and heat.

Go to Top of Page

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  6:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought loose and corroded connections were the cause of good units being replaced.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000