New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  05:46:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping you all can shed some light on a dark and bitter subject for me.

I'm talking about 1980's and 1990's International S-series and 3800 chassis with spring suspension.

On the rear springs, there are what I've been taught to call 'torque leaves' which are the leaves that come out of the big pack of springs, and go forward to the front hanger about 8" below where the top spring attaches to it. This is a greasable point.

We check these, the same way our bus inspectors do...use the palm of the hand to sharply smack the leaf upwards. If it makes any 'clunk' or other noise...it fails. Here is my problem with this:

Typically, we have 10 or so buses rebushed every year because it makes that noise. Last year, I had a 1986 and a 1995 rebushed. The 86 came in this year, 26,000 miles later, and was testing bad again!

The 1995 had to go to the spring shop for unrelated reasons, and they called to say that it needed rebushed! I gave them the proverbial hell about why it only lasted 20,000 miles. After they supposedly pulled the thing apart, they found that it indeed DID NOT need any work.

Now here is what I would like to know: Is this the right way to check these things, or is our inspection team out-of-adjustment? How often do these things go bad on your buses? I grease them every 6000 miles, isn't that enough?

This is getting old and expensive! Any ideas?

THANKS....I'll stop complaining now!!!

Shake, rattle and roll: I still love my new old Carpenter bus #17!

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  09:59:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the eyelet is egged out and the new bushing is just conforming to that shape after 26000 miles. I would get one in, note its position in the eyelet, knock out the bushing and measure it for out of round. Also inspect the bushing for wear patterns. Always grease spring pins with the load off the pins, especially the fronts. If you get a loose one thats not too old, you might want to try knocking a new pin in it and chasing the old pin out saving the agravation of alligning the torque leaf again. I now do my A services at 2000 miles and rarely replace king pins, U joints and spring bushings and they always take grease. Peace, Joe

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  11:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are very high wear items, and need grease often. We grease ours every month, and it seems to work for us. Buy as good a chassis grease as you can afford, and make sure your staff uses it!
Joe

Go to Top of Page

rockpik98

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  12:25:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomasbus24, I agree with wagonmaster and joe, you need to grease the leaf spring zerks at least every month or 2000 miles which ever comes first or as stated on the "A" service. Do remember these are for torque. Another product you may want to try is Wax Lube made by McKay products to spray all non-mechanical joints including bushing. It sounds like to me that the bushings are drying out from lack of lubrication.
When I had 20 or so Crown Coaches, both two and three axles, we greased all zerks in the springs and sprayed all leafs on a regular basics-2400 miles or every month. Never lost a spring bushing due to dry out but did change bushings when a leaf broke.
What type of climate do you have in your area, this might have a bearing on what's happening to your bushing?

Mikey
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  5:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Looks like a new PM schedule for these items is needed for next year.

I'm in central Ohio, so it's average of 80 degrees or so in Summer, -25 to 40 in winter. Salty roads many times. Rough, bouncy rural roads mostly. Could this be hurting them?

Shake, rattle and roll: I still love my new old Carpenter bus #17!
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  6:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely! Ours don't get salt and snow, but they do get copious quantities of water and sand!!!! Grease the heck out of them!
Joe

Go to Top of Page

Carpenter Bus_19
Advanced Member

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2002 :  07:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carpenter  Bus_19's Homepage  Send Carpenter  Bus_19 an AOL message  Send Carpenter  Bus_19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I Remember Last Year. One Company Had 10 Buses and 9 of them needed at least 1 spring bushing.. I actually Like Replacing them. Its actually Pretty Straightforward. And if you know the secret its even easier.

Luke L. C.
Driver,Mechanic
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer

2 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  6:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a company that makes a bushing that has a nylon bushing and stainless steel pin that replaces the bronze and steel. They claim a longer life but at a much higher price. We run a synthetic grease in our chassis lube. It seems to flow better and resist the water etc. Also specify a bushing that has grooves machined into it instead of the smooth one; this will help hold grease longer and allow it to pass to all of the bushing and pin. All I can say is that we are very good at replacing this particular bushing as they do wear.
Go to Top of Page

BusguyII@webtv.net

8 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  10:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Use the nylon bushings , you will get at least 3 years use. In Pa. they used to check the Maxi or parking brake by you pulling the bus in the shop & locking up the "parking brake" ! Doing so you force all the grease out of your torque bushings! You can purchase the new style nylon bushing kits from your IH dealer , they also have rebush kits for the front spring shackles ( something the state troopers are definetely looking at this year! )

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000