Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  6:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if they are more powerful, IC-RE. Probably the same. It sounds to me like they spec the most powerful version of the smallest engine. The 466 motor is bigger, right? I guess it makes sense....the county is pretty flat. It's not like we have to climb the Rocky Mountains in these buses. And they certainly don't want us speeding. So, I guess it's enough motor for around here.

Still haven't been inside one yet! BUT.....a lady at my yard just got one (1685), and first time I catch her there...I'll invite myself aboard for a look-see! It was her motor that I looked at tonight.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  6:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to ask so many questions, buit I know nothing about engines! So, how are they numbering these buses, like in the high 1600's and the low 1700's?

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  6:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"So, how are they numbering these buses, like in the high 1600's and the low 1700's?"

Yep. And probably also old bus numbers that they are replacing. I swear I saw a brand new bus 25 on Braddock Road the other day. The old 25 was a '89 Ford/Wayne. The only thing I'm not POSITIVE of was that it was a Fairfax bus! I've seen buses and puzzled over 'em.....and then noticed they were Prince William (or Loudoun or Arlington, etc) buses! LOL
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  9:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
WOW...I too stand corrected...I do know though, that at one point, it wasnt available over 200 HP. I think its crazy that those awesome buses have the smallest engine, but apparently it does the job just fine.

=
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  03:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of the VT365 my contractor is in the process of purchasing a bus for me next year which is looking to be a 2006 IC-CE. She meet with the dealer yesterday and they got into engines because I was telling her if she wanted power get the bigger engine the DT466. She asked about this and the dealer told her if she wanted power to get the VT365 because it has better horsepower ratings. I guess because we not climbing hills we don't need the bigger engine. But they're saying this VT365 should have some good pep.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  12:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
do these engines ride or sound different then our current T44E's?

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  1:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They sound a LITTLE different, and they have a slightly more pronounced Turbo sound. The main difference you'll hear is while the engine is idle...It doesnt sound like its running as rich as the T444Es.

=
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  1:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh ok, the buses we hqve now sound like airplanes when they are revved up!

Good news, bus 1554 is back in service after a 3 month hiatus (my club bus) This bus is a 2001 AmTran RE. It's injectors failed, and she was placed in Thomas ER bus 507 for several months. She is happy to be in her bus, but I was dissapointed becasue they told her that if it wasn't ready by this week, they would place her in an 06 RE. But of cours IC just came out and fixed it just in time so that the county wouldn't have to upgrade her. It seems like she has been driving that bus forever, because around here, it's not rare that a driver be in a new bus every year and a half. For instance, bus 807 (2003 IC RE) just moved up to bus 932 a 2004 IC RE. The reason= unknown. Now a driver only has to drive a conventional their first year, and then can be immerdiatly switched to a Thomas

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  10:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
For FE and RE applications, I would only go with the DT466. In addition to all the benefits the DT466 has to offer, a higher resale value is one of them. Of course, with the FE, you have no choice but a DT466 on the IC FE.

I guess the direction Fairfax is coming from is how many buses they purchase per year, multiplied by the extra cost of a DT466, and they soon realize they can save lots of money by going with the base engine.

As was mentioned earlier, they don't have hilly terrain, so the VT365 should do the job.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000