New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2002 :  08:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this has probably been discussed before, but does anyone have any experiences with this type of policy? Does it work? What are some of the problems that are created when this is used? Any input is appreciated.

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  5:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've had true zero tolerance for over 5 years, now. K-3 is principal discretion, 4-12 goes like this: violence or the threat of violence will result in a 5 day suspension for the first instance and expulsion after that. And we mean it!

Fighting on buses or at bus stops is almost non-existant, as kids have much too much to lose. For k-5 kids we have a special school for those suspended or expelled, as nothing existed before this policy was started. Expelled MS and HS kids go to an already existing school system run by the County.

Violence on the bus is considered the same as if it were in school. Drivers are careful not to falsely accuse a student, as the schools will come down hard in our support.

I forgot to mention that expulsions have dropped considerably district-wide, and kids absolutely feel much safer on campus.

Edited by - john farr on 09/25/2002 6:32:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stevebus42
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  7:27:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have serious issues with zero tolerence policy. I feel that if someone brings a gun to school they are history.In One school district a young man was suspended for pointing a finger at a teacher or another student I am unclear as to all the details. It seems that whoever he pointed his finger at felt like he was going to shoot them.
I had an incident on my bus last year in which a yong 5th grade student had a knife in his back pack. It seems that he had forgotten to take it out before he went to school. He had it in his back pack all day. He was showing it to someone in the back of the bus. I got wind of the knife and I ask Jake for his backpack which contained a knife. Jake brought his back pack and showed me the knife. I confiscated the backpack with the knife and returned Jake to school. Fortionately we did away with the zero tolerence policy two years ago. Jake recieved a three day suspention. Under the zero tolerence policy the principal would have at a minimum had to suspend him for the balance of the year. Jake had no intintion of harming anyone and nobody felt threatend by Jake. Jake was one young man that was totally honest with everyone. Jake is a yong man that I have a lot of respect for.

The purpose of disapline either on a school bus or the classroom is to effect a change in behavior. Zero tolerance policies in effect tie the hands of administrators in effect changes in behavior.

Edited by - SteveBus42 on 09/28/2002 7:28:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2002 :  11:31:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our policy requires that administrators use common sense. First a thorough investigation is conducted, followed by the site administrator's recommendation. Finally an expulsion committee hearing is held where parents and others can be heard before an impartial panel. THEN the action is taken.

At times a student is suspended from school, depending on the seriousness of the allegations, pending the panel's hearing.

We do not seem to have those problems some school districts have in using common sense, rather than hiding behind a policy which is restrictive to decision-makers.

Go to Top of Page

Stevebus42
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2002 :  2:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John it sounds like you use a due process type of disapline which will probably keep your district out of court.
School districts should stay out of court.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000