New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2002 :  6:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fuel island has #1 diesel used in frigid climates, #2 diesel the common diesel (and home heating oil) and jet fuel. What fuel is going to provide you the most power. Ill let this question go untill next sunday night. Chime in and good luck!

Skewl Bus Boi
Advanced Member

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2002 :  6:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing #2 diesel. Jet fuel may be really powerful, but I assume you're saying in a diesel engine. The engine is designed for diesel, and jet fuel could really hurt the engine. If #1 were the best, they'd use it everywhere, not just in cold climates.

—Phil

"Blue Bird!" "of happiness?"
Go to Top of Page

wrenchmen

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  08:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Send wrenchmen an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
It all has to do with BTU's....the higher the BTU's = more power...im not totally positive, but I believe it would be #2 diesel that would have more BTU's.

Go to Top of Page

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  12:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say #1 Diesel.

In early eighties while working at a transit agency we switched from #1 to #2 diesel. We experienced more smoke at first until we improved the tune up standards of the fleet.
My impression at the time why we changed was due to the cheaper cost of #2 diesel.

PHW

Do Child Check For Life

Go to Top of Page

rockpik98

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  1:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wrenchmen, yes, it is the BTU's and #2 diesel is correct only because it has more parafin than #1 diesel or jet fuel. They take parafin out of #1 diesel so that the lines don't clog up in cold climates. The other chemical in diesel that makes it burn hot,is sulphur.

Mikey
Go to Top of Page

wsauer3481

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  2:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Send wsauer3481 an AOL message  Click to see wsauer3481's MSN Messenger address  Send wsauer3481 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
the us navy uses jp5 jet fuel in all of the desiel engines used in forklifts,power generating equipment, tow tactors, fire trucks and other portable diesel operated equipment on thier aircraft carriers. when we took this equipment ashore we used no 2 diesel and te power was reduced. so i believe that jet fuel would provide the most power. a note: we had to add 1 quart of oil every time we filled the tanks because the jet fuel has very little lubricating quality.
most of these engines last longer than 10 years between overhaul(they run 24 hours a day 7 days week 7-8 months of the year.)i spent 20 years working on this equipment before moving to school buses 10 years ago.

Edited by - wsauer3481 on 05/06/2002 2:14:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  4:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just got back from my Guard training. The Army uses JP in the tanks, etc.

349 - A repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  5:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll go with those who say jet fuel

Superior--built tough, built to last!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf4dk

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  8:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actualy Sulfer is used for lubracation. That's why manufactures are not liking the low sulfer standards. It does add some power. But it's mainly a lubracator.

We use both in our fleet. We switch over in Late Oct and switch back in mid March. The lighter Fuel #1 has more power. But has less additives to help lubracate the engine. This will cause it to run hotter and gain some power. But it has a drawback. It's not as good for the engine.

#2 deisel has more lubracants and this is the reason why it "gels up" at low temps. But it is safer for the engine.

Jet Fuel on the other hand has almost no lubracants. It doesn't lubracate anything so it isn't needed. I would NOT recomend running Jet Fuel in diesel engines.
It's kinda like running White Fuel in the engines. Most people know White Fuel as Karosine. You can run it but because it doesn't have the lubracants needed you must add a lubracant. Some people will know that you can add a quart of transmition fluid for every 15 gallons of karosine.

Just thought I would throw that extra info in there.

More Power=Jet Fuel
More Power from Diesel Fuel=#1
Safer for the engine=#2

Go to Top of Page

rockpik98

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  10:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wolf, Had you ever thought about using and additive package in your fuel to add lubricity to it whit out using sulfer?

Mikey
Go to Top of Page

Wolf4dk

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  4:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We Usualy don't add anything to our fuel. Only Anti Gel agents on really cold days. We go threw too much of it and it would get costly. Low sulfer diesel here is extremly expencive. So we just get what we can afford and with a $1.8 million fuel budget each year, we can't really afford much more.

Go to Top of Page

rockpik98

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  08:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wolf, my additives come from HYDOTEX, thier based in Dallas, Texas. Ph. 1-214-638-7400. Give them a call for technical information on your cold climate problems and maybe they can help. I know in my district, it helped alot and I use their product in all my fuels (gasoline and diesel) and my all of my engine oils. They also have a great transmission fluid for all your automatics. longer change intervals.

Mikey
Go to Top of Page

Wolf4dk

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  8:49:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What? You are sposed to change Transmission fluids? :) We tried doing the "service" thing but all it did was make the trannys slip and it resaulted in a transmission overhaul anyways. We even tried to move the service milage up some but it didn't make a difference. So now we just let them go and when they get overhauled they are replaced with Jasper Transmissions. They have a "So called" Full lifetime warrenty. So we really don't do any servicing anymore. WE do however check fluids on a regular bassis.

We never had a problem with gelling. Only a couple times when the weather suprized us and our suplyer didn't change over in time we had a couple gel up but we just changed the filter and all was good. But thanks for the info. I might have to check it out.

Go to Top of Page

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2002 :  9:49:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SBB, lucky(but smart)guess! Wrench and Rock, right on!
BTU's!
Grade 2-D diesel fuel 137,000 BTU/Gal. -5 pour point.
Grade 1-D diesel fuel 133,000 BTU/Gal. -30 pour point.
Jet Fuel 122,000 BTU/Gal. -50 pour point.
Kerosene 120,000 BTU/Gal. -50 pour point.
I never actually tested it, I am suprised to see that wsauer had seen an improvement in performance, I have to declair him a winner also!

All rules apply from first trivia question. This weeks prizes are "experienced" headlight bezels from IH Loadstars with fiberglass hoods! Congradulations to last weeks winner Bob, he claimed his prize!

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  6:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Congradulations to last weeks winner Bob, he claimed his prize!

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you again, Joe, for the prize!!

Go to Top of Page

Skewl Bus Boi
Advanced Member

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  9:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, any idea how biodiesel compares?

—Phil

"Blue Bird!" "of happiness?"
Go to Top of Page

BusladyofSoCal
Advanced Member

USA
366 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2002 :  10:03:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusladyofSoCal's Homepage  Send BusladyofSoCal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know this is old tho...
Jet Fuel can be used in diesel engines, if the engine is tuned right, and wont hurt anything.
Both grades of diesel wouldnt give you either more or less power; it would be almost unnoticeable.
quote:

The fuel island has #1 diesel used in frigid climates, #2 diesel the common diesel (and home heating oil) and jet fuel. What fuel is going to provide you the most power. Ill let this question go untill next sunday night. Chime in and good luck!

Buslady
Crown Coach: The Energizer of buses, it just keeps going and going and going.....

Crown Coach Archive
http://crowncoach.tripod.com

Edited by - busladyofsocal on 05/26/2002 10:06:47 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000