New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  2:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone been able to replace International leaf spring bushings without removing springs and frame brackets from bus?
I optimistically bought some Stemco/Kaiser install/removal tools to use with my air hammer not budging!

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  3:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Front or rear?

I change the rear bushings and pins all the time.

For the front radial leaf bushings, I send them to the spring shop.

You may have to slit the bushing with a sawzall or employ the fire wrench.

For the rear bushings, I put the bus up on the lift and place jackstands under the frame and lower the axles enough to unload the springs and remove the pins. Lowering the axle a little more, just enough to drive out the bushing and using a Snap-On bushing driver and a 3 lb hammer and a little heat, they usually pop right out.

I stress a LITTLE heat. Anything over 400F will remove the temper from the spring.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 08/19/2009 3:46:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  5:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Front springs, 10,000 lb. axle.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  07:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shackle pin bushings is what i figure you are refering to. We replace shacle pin bushings all the time. The spring bushings will be no problem with removal or installing (you may want to slice them as stated above and no need to remove the spring). the frame brackets are a different story. we just replace them as they are a bargain. frame brackets are IH part# 1664263c1 for all our 3800 chassis. About $50 per side. put your spring bushings in the freezer before installing. if you opt to rebush your frame brackets you will need to remove them and press them out and back in, you will probably waste a bushing or 2 on that job. hope this helps.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  12:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I built a spring bushing installer remover some years ago which could be modified to fit any spring by making different size adapters. I have drawings of it I will e-mail to you.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000