First C2 to hit Kentucky?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  2:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today I was invited to attend an "open house" to a CAT / Thomas dealership that just opened about 15 minutes South of my town.

I arrived eager to see if there was a Kentucky Spec'd Saf-T-Liner C2 (which I have never seen before) on the lot, and to my pleasure this is what I found...

I was very happy with the appearance of the bus, and it's spec's overall. I was pressed for time, so I didn't get to warm up to the bus as much as I would have liked to, but I plan on going back to that dealership sometime soon to further explore the C2

Just thought I would share the pictures with everyone to get a little change in the C2 appearance, hope you enjoy!

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  2:58:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

WoW! The C2 looks great in those Kentucky specs. Thanks for sharing those pics!

Ted

Go to Top of Page

ThomasER0005
Top Member

USA
576 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  3:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does look great with the Kentucky specs. I would like to see more spread out in Kentucky.

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  4:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like the looks of the yellow posts between the windows instead of all black. I never really cared for the Kentucy spec of the black belt (not sure what you call that) between the two rub rails where the district name goes but I think it looks pretty good.

Power mirrors, adjustable pedals, push-button transmission, 10x30 passenger mirror, nice specs!

I still think having two dome lights in every roof panel is overkill, but whatever makes them happy.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  5:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Get some tinted windows on that thing! That C2 looks too bare without them.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  6:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure I'm in the minority but I think conventionals look better untinted.

Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  6:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas86_a

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I think conventionals look better untinted.

I agree with you Bret, I'm not much of a fan of tinted windows on school buses. Unless it fits well with the rest of the bus, it's not necessary.

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*
Go to Top of Page

CrownBus1
Top Member

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  6:45:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pictures, the C2 does look good in Kentucky specs!

Bus 1
1985 Crown
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  6:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I like tinted windows on all buses. The C2 does look strange without that option.
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  6:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pics!

Found out the other day we are getting 8 C2's with the Mercedes engines (six 77 passenger, 2 handicapped). They won't be in until next month or maybe not until November. I hope to get some pics so someone can post them for me.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  6:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like it, I also like how it has all of those lights, with the tinted windows, it is very dark in the morning, and it is hard to see with just 8 dome lights, I like how it doesn't have tinted windoews and tons of lights, now that is a bright ride! I really am starting to like those C2's
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  7:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
With specing the yellow posts between the windows the rear is also all yellow, something we haven't seen on many models, I think I prefer it that way.

Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  01:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
When I first saw the pictures, I thought "that looks like an old bus. WAIT that's a C2?!?!" It looks a little plain w/o the black around the windows, but at the same time it looks alright. The black stripe running accross the top of the windows, and the rub rail under the windows bothers me though. But the inside is NICE!! Push Button transmission, and what looks to be a CD player!! Wish I had those in my truck. It's a nice C2, it's just that I haven't seen it like that before on the outside. I'll probably get used to it. The bus is nice, it just needs black paint around the windows (but I know some states don't allow that). The black where the owner's name goes is a nice touch.

Great shots of the bus Chris!!
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  07:29:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would prefer it with the black posts, and black around the roof caps, but definitely a nice bus overall.

Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  11:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like cabbage (and KY C2s)!
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  10:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the looks of that KY spec C2. Gives me some indication of what a certain contractor in NY C2's will look like
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  11:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMCBlueBird83

I really like the looks of that KY spec C2. Gives me some indication of what a certain contractor in NY C2's will look like

Hardy har har, Lee

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  2:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice pics Chris! I'd like to see a Tennessee spec'd C2.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

wolfman01

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  8:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep looking at the C2, and I keep seeing a similarity to a now deceased bodymaker. It kind of clicked - the open airy look of the bus from the windows up, along with the shallow roof curvature reminds me of the old Wayne bodied busses. Look at an old Wayne, you'll see what I'm talking about, even along the roofline inside.

Proud owner of "ol Smokey", a 1982 Thomas Transitliner ER, bus #40 retired from Texas A&M University. Its currently in the process of being converted for it's second life as an R.V.
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  04:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wolfman01

I keep looking at the C2, and I keep seeing a similarity to a now deceased bodymaker. It kind of clicked - the open airy look of the bus from the windows up, along with the shallow roof curvature reminds me of the old Wayne bodied busses. Look at an old Wayne, you'll see what I'm talking about, even along the roofline inside.

I was just waiting for someone else to see a Wayne in that bus

Let me share one last picture, and I think that at first glance (looking at the obvious object the CAT bike) the C2 in the background looks very close to a Wayne...

My Personal Fleet
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  04:20:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was mentioned a while back. Everyone had seen pieces of a wayne and chickasha in the c2.

In reality, I think we are seeing more European influence in the bus market which is where most of the c2 looks like it originated from.

I still see this being the shell from the ABC Vanhool Freightliner project from a few years ago.

Sharp looking bus!
Go to Top of Page

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  08:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know that Southeastern (Huston area) have the C2 they where on NBC Today, this morning about the coming hurricane, and evactutations.

Tyler Roys Weatherman and International Fan,

http://www.freewebs.com/thectschoolbusyard
Go to Top of Page

wolfman01

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  7:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd really like to look at a C2 in person. There's just something about it that keeps telling me that pictures are not able to do this rig justice.

Proud owner of "ol Smokey", a 1982 Thomas Transitliner ER, bus #40 retired from Texas A&M University. Its currently in the process of being converted for it's second life as an R.V.
Go to Top of Page

2006.AAFE.#21
Top Member

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  3:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit 2006.AAFE.#21's Homepage  Send 2006.AAFE.#21 an AOL message  Click to see 2006.AAFE.#21's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love the C2 and i love KY specs the best combo

Rider of Bus 25, a 2007 Blue Bird All American FE, and Bus 24, a 2009 Blue Bird All American FE.
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  5:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That pictures does remind me of the Wayne Body. Pretty nice looking bus the C2 is def growing on me.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

pcbuilder03

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  12:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pics, Chris! I just wanted to make a few comments . . .

I think they look much better with
a.) tinted windows
b.) black window posts/roofcap borders
c.) black rubrails

• I haven't seen one with a pushbutton shifter before. It looks much better than I expected.

• I like the new ignition switch.

• Wow, that's a lot of interior lights!

• That is, by far, the sweetest radio I've ever seen in a bus!

Overall, I really like the C2 (not surprising considering I'm a Thomas fan). But, since the changes they've made to it, I decided I like it even more! I really hope my district gets some of these!!!

There are three kinds of people - those who can count and those who can't.
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  5:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I really like the looks of the C2 bus. I would love to be able to drive one. I am glad to see that you can spec. it with a push button gear selector. On the other C2 pictures i've seen they have the lever gear shift on the steering column.

Maybe I can go to another state and see one. With the way South Carolina goes with buying buses, it will be the year 2015 before we will see a "NEW USED" C2 when we purchase it from another state!
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  8:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I figured I'd bring this up; found the 2nd C2 on the net with KY Specs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alissaspics/1043702108/

It looks a whole lot better.

-Jake

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  06:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The first one is quite nice and the other one looks ok. I always thought one randomly placed luggage bay always looks tacky.

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Go to Top of Page

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  08:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The KY Speced C2 are quite cool, but it does look bare.

Tyler Roys Weatherman and International Fan,

http://www.freewebs.com/thectschoolbusyard
Go to Top of Page

kentuckynascar1
Advanced Member

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  5:54:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jake

-Jake

Bringing back an old topic-this pic is in the district I work at. They have a few C2s but they mainly went to the RE's.
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  6:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kentuckynascar1

quote:
Originally posted by Jake

-Jake

Bringing back an old topic-this pic is in the district I work at. They have a few C2s but they mainly went to the RE's.

I've yet to see a KY Spec'd C2 outside of the internet. Do you have any pictures of your all's fleet, you all seem to have some pretty rare buses for what most of KY usually purchases. (Well, around here anyway). I've seen the HDX's, they are starting to make an appearance around here. My district is still stuck on IC-CEs.

-Jake
Go to Top of Page

kentuckynascar1
Advanced Member

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  6:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try to take some this weekend. It helps that the garage is right across from the high school I teach at.
Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  6:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I STILL have yet to see a C2 in Washington state. In fact, I still have yet to see a C2 in person at all.
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  7:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kentuckynascar1

I'll try to take some this weekend. It helps that the garage is right across from the high school I teach at.

Alright, thanks! You all seem to have a very interesting fleet.

On C2's, I've never seen one upclose in person. The closet encounter i've had with a C2 is seeing a dealership full of them going through GA on the side of a interstate. International and Blue Bird have a strong hold of the area I live in.

-Jake
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  11:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh you're in for a treat when you get to step up onto a C2. Always good for a laugh! Thomas just isn't Thomas anymore.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000