New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  4:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone ever had this happen? I was driving my regular route this afternoon and something fell on the dash. I thought someone was throwing pennies but since it was my regular group I thought that was unlikely. Then I felt around by the windshield and found it was a screw. Couldn't see any missing ones....a few minutes go by...CRASH! Down comes the first aid kit and the second screw that secured it! It was good that no one was getting off the bus at that moment, that box is metal and could have hurt someone! I had the mechanic put it back up, but that was just plain wierd.

drivin4safety
Advanced Member

United States
259 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  6:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Send drivin4safety a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have seen something similar on the daycare bus I drove this past summer (an 86 Blue Bird conventional). It had evidently happened before and the location had been changed at least twice. I put it back up but only after showing the owner what I had found. They have since added another first aid kit and we relocated the original so that they are not going to fall on driver or passengers. We added some custom brackets and fasteners under the dash panel near the stairwell. The owners got all this approved by the local authorities so they are legal but had to add a brightly colored decal announcing the location of the kits.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  6:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had the same problem. We mounted a strip of velcro on the back of the first aid kit and on the bulkhead, and this holds it in place. Works great.
Go to Top of Page

UncleNeal

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  12:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is why checking the First Aid Kit is part of our daily pre-trip vehicle inspection... we remove it from the holder and make sure it is secure when we place it back in the holder.

Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  4:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mechanic had just taken the first aid kit down earlier the same day and put up a sticker with an arrow that says "First Aid Kit" just in case you can't read the writing on the actual kit itself that says..."First Aid Kit"!

Nothing great has ever been accomplished without enthusiasm!
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  5:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You drive an IC right 41?

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  3:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup. A 2004 or 2005, I forget. The roads have been horrendous with potholes and frost heaves so I think the screws just worked loose. It's a wonder I don't end up with just a seat and a steering wheel the way some of these roads are. None of the worst bumps or dips have any markings and since I drive a late run every day I am on roads that are not on my normal run. On my normal run I know exactly where to go very very slowly.

Go to Top of Page

Lena

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  6:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another reason it's a good idea to check it during pre-trip...

Last school year I had a field trip where a group of high school kids went to a park for a big cookout...my bus was parked nearby and I was wandering around the park. Shortly before it was time to leave, I noticed one of the students had been injured and the teachers were waiting for a parent.

The next morning during my pre-trip, I discovered half of the supplies had been removed from my first aid kit. Apparently, the teachers had used these on the injured student, but never bothered to inform me (which I thought was pretty crappy)...Lesson learned though: always take a peek inside the first aid kit!!

Most smiles are started by another smile...
Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  8:14:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bus I used the other day I used up the contents of the body fluids clean up kit. A student threw up on the bus. But they have to find where the replacement contents to the kits were stored.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  06:20:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is why I liked the mounting we had in our 1979-81 Thomas...two brackets, one on top and one on bottom with a rubber bungee strap that went through the kit's handle, down it's front and secured to the bottom bracket. Those things weren't going ANYWHERE.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000